A Cacao smoothie bowl has to be my favourite vegan brunch on the weekend. It’s soo good and the great thing is, it’s guilt free!
Smoothie bowls have become really popular over recent years. Those instagram perfect coconut bowls with a spoon to slurp up all the goodness.
In general, smoothie bowls have a slightly thicker consistency than the type of smoothie you drink from a glass with a straw.
This cacao smoothie bowl features frozen bananas giving it the perfect consistency for eating it with a spoon.
Cacao Bowl Benefits
So what is cacao? It sounds very similar to cocoa right? Truth is, they are very similar. The main difference is cocoa is more processed.
Cacao is the rawest form of chocolate and the closest to the natural state when it is harvested.
Obviously cocoa is more processed, it’s essentially cacao, however it is heated to very high temperatures which destroy the many health benefits of cacao.
- ORGANIC CACAO POWDER – Experience decadent, rich, dark chocolatey goodness with our pure, organic cacao powder. The aroma of rich dark chocolate not only tantalizes your senses but also delivers a guilt-free indulgence, crafted with no added sugar.
- BLENDS EASILY IN SMOOTHIES & HOT CHOCOLATE – Gently milled into a fine, silky powder without clumps or grittiness, our unsweetened cacao powder is an easy and delicious addition to your morning smoothie, shake, yogurt, oatmeal – you name it.
- THE IDEAL BAKING SUBSTITUTE – If you’re looking for an organic alternative to dark chocolate or cocoa powder, swap our cacao powder organic 1:1 for traditional organic cocoa powder in all your favorite cakes and cookie recipes.
- KETO, PALEO, VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE – Not only is our pure cocoa powder unsweetened, it is non-alkalized, gluten-free, Keto and Paleo, dairy-free, and kosher – a must-have kitchen staple.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST – Forget fillers and additives. Viva Naturals cacao powder is USDA-certified organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, and contains just one ingredient: organic dark cacao powder ground from the cacao beans of the Theobroma cacao tree.
Cacao is rich in magnesium and is considered to be associated with reduced risk of diabetes, as well as cardiovascular disease.
Cacao contains antioxidants which help to lower cholesterol and subsequently improves cardiovascular state. Not to mention it is also rich in Iron and PEA also known as phenylethylamine.
PEA interacts with dopamine, the happy hormone that improves mood. So with all this in mind could you ask for much more in terms of health benefits from just one ingredient?
Best Time To Eat a Cacao Bowl
I personally see smoothie bowls as a brunch but in reality they are perfect for breakfast, lunch or maybe just a snack?
You can make the bowl as filling or as light as you like depending on toppings and quantity of smoothie.
How To Make A Cacao Smoothie Bowl
There is very little time spent on making a cacao smoothie. The main thing you need to do in terms of preparation is freeze a couple of bananas the night before.
If you are a big lover of smoothies, it’s always worth having some chopped up bananas in the freezer. I always cut them into bite sized chunks before freezing so it’s easy to separate for a portion.
Otherwise, all you’ll need are the rest of your ingredients and a blender.
For this incredibly healthy cacao smoothie bowl you will need:
- Cacao powder
- 2 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk or plant milk of your choice
- A tablespoon of Almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of Maple syrup or 3-4 dates chopped up for sweetness
In terms of blenders, one of the best on the market is a Vitamix, it’s been high up on my kitchen appliance wish list, but they are expensive.
If you have some £$ to spare, check out the Vitamix here.
I use a very simple Nutri Ninja Smoothie mixer. I particularly like this one as you blend it in the cup.
The blade twists off and you can add a normal drinking lid. This is perfect for taking smoothies and drinks on the go and saves on washing up!
Check out my smoothie maker, the Nutri Ninja.
All you have to do is add all of the ingredients to your blender and blitz! It’s as simple as that.
Cacao Smoothie Bowl Toppings
Don’t forget you may want some toppings too. For the bowl pictured in this recipe, I used chopped almonds, chia seeds, frozen raspberries and a sprinkle of dried raspberries for decorative factor.
Some other ideas may include:
- Chopped banana or strawberries
- Cacao nibs
- Flax seed
- Coconut flakes
- Nuts or seeds
- Sliced peaches
Serving a Banana Cacao Smoothie
I am a big lover of making food presentable, Aside from placing all of the toppings in a decorative way, you can also use some pretty nice bowls.
I have used one of my Falcon Enamelware bowls, they are quite slim but deep which is quite good for smoothie bowls.
- 1 x 24cm mixing bowl
- 1 x 24cm colander
- 1 x 18cm mixing bowl
- 1 x 16cm mixing bowl
- 1 x 14cm mixing bowl
However one of my other favourite things to use is Coconut bowls, literal Instagram perfection if you like sharing your food pics. Smoothie bowl cacao with all the toppings will go down a treat with your followers!
- 🥥 PREMIUM QUALITY: Jungle Culture coconut bowl sets are hand-selected from high quality coconuts. Each smoothie bowl is sustainable & responsibly sourced & includes 2 wooden bowls, 2 wooden spoons for eating, 2 bamboo straws & a FREE 25-page community e-cookbook to help provide some plant-based inspiration for your new cute bowls!
- 🥥 HANDMADE & ORGANIC: Our natural smoothie bowls are perfect for a variety of different creations. Made from thick, polished coconut shells & treated with nourishing coconut oil for durability, these healthy choice coconut bowls and wooden spoon sets make perfect vegan gifts. Each coconut shell is individually wrapped in artisanal paper & packaged in a gift box for safe transit.
- 🥥 SHINE ON SOCIALS: Get ready to unleash your creativity on Instagram & TikTok as a culinary master! Conjure up a fruit salad with succulent fresh strawberries & dreamy frozen yogurt or keep it simple with nutritious buddha bowls. But don’t stop there – this coconut bowl set of 2 is versatile & can be used to elevate a variety of dishes, from acai bowls to pasta, salad & more! Let Mother Nature’s charm fuel your next masterpiece!
- 🥥 PRODUCTS WITH PURPOSE: Our company, based in the US & the UK, is committed to being socially responsible, eco friendly & zero waste. We work closely with skilled artisans in Vietnam & your purchase empowers local communities. Our up-cycled natural coconut bowls for smoothies are certified food safe. Choose products that align with your values & make a positive impact.
- 🇺🇸 SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE: We’re confident that you will love our coconut bowls, making them a perfect choice for vegan gift ideas. However, if you are not satisfied with your cocobowl for any reason, we offer a 60-day money back guarantee or will replace damaged bowls & utensils for new. As a socially responsible company, we also pledge 1% of our sales to the preservation of the natural environment.
Variable Cacao Smoothie Recipes
You don’t have to be too strict with these ingredients you can mix things up a little depending on what you have in the pantry and preferences.
For example you may want to add some protein powder, a scoop would mix into this perfectly. Just add a teeny bit more milk to compensate.
Another thing is switch from almond butter to a cacao peanut butter smoothie.
If you are looking for a low carb / keto variation replace the maple syrup with stevia sweetener drops. Instead of the banana, use frozen coconut puree to get the ultimate ‘gloop’.
If you are having the smoothie for brunch or breakfast, add a spoon of rolled oats for some extra fuel for the day.
If you are looking to switch up your smoothie bowl filling altogether you can try this Acai smoothie bowl.
Storing Cacao Smoothie Mix
The smoothie mix is best served freshly made as it really keeps it’s formation. Smoothie bowls should be thicker than a traditional smoothie drink as you will eat it with a spoon.
That said, it is totally fine to keep the mix in the fridge for 1-2 days. Just give it a good shake before eating it.
Obviously the bananas being freshly blended from frozen gives the ultimate consistency.
Before we jump to the recipe, be sure to check out some of our other favourite brunch recipes. You might like:
- The perfect cacao workout smoothie
- Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate acai bowl
- Peanut butter acai bowl
- Buckwheat pancakes
- Tofu scramble
- Vegan Parfait Cups
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 small bananas frozen
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Freeze two bananas overnight in bite sized chunks.
- Measure out 1 and a 1/2 cups of unsweetned almond milk or a plant milk of your choice.
- Add the milk and banana to your blender with all of the other ingredients including the maple syrup, almond butter and raw cacao.
- Blitz together until smooth.
- The consistency should be glupy enough to eat it with a spoon comfortably.
- Add to a bowl.
- Add topping of your choice.
- Serve with a spoon and enjoy!
- Using frozen bananas is a vital step to get the right consistency for a smoothie bowl.
- You can choose from a variety of toppings depending on how hungry you are. Choose from chopped fruits, seeds, granola, nuts and so on, be as creative as you like.
- If you want to keep your carbs down, trade in maple syrup for stevia sweetner drops.
- You can use any milk, the only reason I like to use unsweetned almond milk is because it's low in calories and carbs.
- If you dont have almond butter you can also use cashew or peanut butter, either is fine.
- Other variations may include adding some protein powder or a scoop of oats if you want some fuel for the day.
- There are many variations you can make to a cacao bowl.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Set of 2 - Premium Coconut Bowl and Spoon Gift 100% Natural, Handmade, Vegan Polished With Coconut Oil, Durable for Breakfast, Serving, Decoration, Party Meaningful For Friend and Family
Maple Grove Farms Pure Maple Syrup, 12.5 oz
Navitas Organics Cacao Powder, 8oz. Bag — Organic, Non-GMO, Fair Trade, Gluten-Free
Justin's Classic Almond Butter, Only Two Ingredients, No Stir, Gluten-free, Non-GMO, Keto-friendly, Responsibly Sourced, 16 Ounce Jar, Pack of 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. By using the links to purchase an item, we get to share a very small amount of the commission with the company at no extra cost to you. We really appreciate your support to continue writing recipes and vegan content.