Vegan Chocolate Chip Waffles
Having made some of the best Vegan Belgian Waffles, which were super light, fluffy and crispy all at the same time. I knew it was time to step it up a notch and take it to the next level. This could only mean one thing, Vegan Chocolate Chip Waffles!
Using the same base recipe as used for our Vegan Belgian Waffles (which are a massive hit!) – we simply added some chocolate chips with a side of chocolate sauce for extra chocolate. You can never have enough chocolate after all.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Waffle Recipe
The great thing about waffles is there are so many combinations and ways to enjoy them. Whether it’s chopped berries, vegan butter and maple syrup, hot chocolate sauce or a delicious caramel sauce.
If you love this recipe for chocolate chip waffles, you will be sure to love these vegan sweet potato waffles also.
What are vegan chocolate chip waffles?
This recipe is essentially a classic Belgian waffle recipe, made vegan, with lots of chocolate chips!
These homemade chocolate waffles feel super indulgent and would even make a great holiday shared breakfast. We did this at Christmas time and everyone loved them!
These vegan chocolate chip waffles would be a special treat the next morning if you have guests staying over, for fathers day or a special birthday breakfast. And of course, you don’t need any special occasion to make chocolate chip vegan Belgian waffles! They are too delicious to wait.
We used a traditional waffle iron with deep squares, making big deep pockets, perfect for trapping those pools of syrup.
What waffle iron to use?
What are the best vegan waffle toppings?
The toppings for vegan waffles are endless, but totally personal, so here are some great ideas!
- Vegan chocolate sauce
- Vegan whipped cream
- Fruit and berries
- Vegan ice vanilla cream
- Maple syrup/agave syrup
- Vegan caramel sauce
- Vegan butter
- Crushed pistachios
- 1.5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of oat milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup 0f vegan chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 16 sprays approx spray oil
- Preheat the waffle iron
- Make the chia egg by adding 4 tbsp of oat milk to the chia seeds - stir well and set aside
- Make the vegan buttemilk by adding the lemon juice to the remaining milk, set aside
in a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a little well in the dry mixture.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla essence to the buttermilk and whisk well
- Add the chia egg to the buttermilk mix and stir well
- Add the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients and stir through
- Stir through the vegan chocolate chips
- Use spray oil to easily grease the waffle iron
- Add around a ladel full of the waffle mixture to the waffle iron.
- Close the waffle iron and leave to cook for around 4-5 minutes until golden and cooked through
- Place on a wire rack to cool and allow it to crisp up.
- Continue with the waffle mixture until it is gone. You should get around 4 waffles from this recipe.
As tempting as it may be, dont open the waffle iron until they are almost done!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 272mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g