This creamy sunflower seed cream cheese is vegan, nut free, gluten free and oil free! A tasty whole foods recipe that is sure to delight for snacks, nibbles and lunches alike. Enjoy this vegan cream cheese with your favourite crackers, on top of a warm bagel, some delicious fresh crunch vegetable sticks or as part of a sharing platter with loved ones.
I am always on the lookout for alternative vegan recipes as my little boy is allergic to so many foods. Not only is he allergic to dairy and nuts, he is also dangerously allergic to many dairy substitutes such as cashew, coconut and to a lesser scale, soya.
This vegan sunflower seed cream cheese is:
- Full of flavour
The combination of fresh chives, nutritional yeast and onion powder give it a delicious flavour!
Sunflower Seed Cream Cheese Nutritional Facts
Sunflower seeds are high in protein – they may be tiny but certainly pack a punch! They are high in magnesium with good levels of Vitamin B6 and iron.
Sunflower seeds contain fat soluble Vitamin E .
They contain the daily recommended allowance of selenium, manganese and copper too.
There are so many ways to enjoy sunflower seeds. This vegan sunflower cream cheese recipe is definitely one way to enjoy them.
How To Make Sunflower Seed Cream Cheese
This tasty vegan cream cheese recipe is surprisingly easy with just a few simple ingredients!
This recipe uses raw, unroasted, unsprouted sunflower seeds.
- Raw Sunflower Seeds
- Fresh Chives
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- Onion powder
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
You can adjust the quantities of seasoning to your own preference or needs. For instance I am weaning my baby at the moment and I was really keen for her to try this spread but without the salt! So I took some out for her and added it to the remaining.
You’ll need a blender to make the sunflower seed cream spread. The Kenwood Mini and the Ninja food chopper are awesome for making recipes that involve blending seeds.
How To Eat This Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe
This is a tasty nut free dip and certainly packed with flavour! Here are some great ideas to enjoy this dip:
Store this vegan sunflower cream spread in an airtight container for up to 3 days – however it is most definitely the nicest when eaten fresh! This is a raw sunflower seed cheese, hence why its best eaten fresh.
- 1 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tbsp Water
- Soak the raw sunflower seeds in water for approximately 1 hour prior to making the cream cheese. This will soften them and enable an easier blend and a creamier cheese.
- Once softened, drain the excess water and place soaked seeds in a blender with the fresh chopped chives, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar if using) and desired amount of salt and pepper.
- If needed, add approx. 1 tbsp of water to unstick and ensure to scrape down the sides of the blender as it blends the seeds into a creamy texture.
- Do a taste test and add some salt and pepper to you desired taste
1) This vegan sunflower seed cream cheese is best eaten fresh
2) You can store this in the fridge for up to 3 days, however it will harden in the fridge. If this happens - you can spread it on warm crusty bread or on top of a warm jacket potao or vegan chilli to soften up!
3) This sunflower seed cheese is delicous with crunchy vegetable sticks like fresh bell pepper, celery or carrots - or on some crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1036mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
this is an estimate