Lentil Bake Recipe
Looking for a hearty, delicious centre piece to share with loved ones this thanksgiving? Look no further than this warming, tasty lentil bake vegan pie.
With creamy sweet potato mash on top and a delicious, rich lentil and mushroom filling. This would make a great centre piece for thanksgiving lunch of even as part of a buffet. You vegan and omni loved ones alike will not be able to turn this down.
Having a vegan thanksgiving doesn’t have to mean missing out on filling, delicious foods. This lentil shepherd’s pie recipe is perfect for a hearty lunch with all the trimmings.
Lentil Bake with mushroom filling
This lentil and mushroom filling is rich and delicious. The green lentils make the perfect absorbent sponge for the tasty flavours. They also pack a punch with iron and protein to keep you full and nourished.
Mushrooms compliment the base perfectly with the classic “umami” flavour, alongside the miso and tamari. Mushrooms are known to give a “meaty” type texture. You could totally mix it up with a variety of chopped mushrooms, from oyster mushrooms to button mushrooms.
I find mushrooms the perfect addition to this vegan lentil pie. Adding vegetables as an extra layer is totally personal preference.
I always add a layer of carrots to my vegan shepherd’s pie and find it a great way to use up any frozen vegetables. Here I have added petit post and broad beans for extra iron and protein.
We recommend these pantry essential Organic Green Lentils, which make this dish super easy as no pre soaking of dry lentils is require.
Creamy Sweet Potato Topping
Would it be thanksgiving without a sweet potato dish? I don’t think so. The light and creamy sweet potato pie topping compliments the rich, savoury filling perfectly.
The sweet potatoes are easily roasted in the oven whilst you commence making the vegan pie filling.
Desserts and Side Dishes
Thinking of another great dish that can be served for dessert following this vegan shepherds pie? Check out this delicious vegan French toast casserole. This is another great idea as brunch if you are having guests stay for Thanksgiving weekend!
If you are looking for a great festive side dish, check out this spinach salad!
This is also energy saving as the oven will have already been heated with the vegan shepherd’s pie.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 400g green lentils (precooked)
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 tbsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup of frozen veg eg peas
- 3 carrots
- 3 tablespoons passata
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp balsamic glaze
- 20mls water (approx)
- Sprinkle of nooch
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Wash and roughly chop sweet potatoes. Place in an oven proof dish and coat in oil, salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for approx. 40 minutes until or cooked through
- While the potatoes are cooking, commence with the filling. Saute the red onion and garlic. Add the chopped celery and chopped mushrooms and stir through passata.
- Cook for around 2 minutes before adding the green lentils, miso paste, balasamic glaze, tamari and dried herbs. Add the fresh, chopped rosemary. Add a little water to ensure it's not sticking to the pan,.
- Allow this to simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring throughout to ensure it is not sticking. If using uncooked lentils you will need to adjust the time and volume of liquid accordingly.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and once not too hot, scoop into a bowl and mash with vegan butter.
- Start to layer your lentil bake pie! Add the lentil layer to an ovenproof dish, top with chosen vegetables as your next layer.
- Spread the sweet potato mash on top. Pop in the ovebn and cook for around 40 minutes.
- Once removed, allow around ten minutes for it to cool slight before serving. Garnish with nutritional yeast and a fresh sprig of rosemary if desired.
This lentil pie stores really well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, would also freeze well. Defrost thoroughly before reheating in the microwave or oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 338mg Carbohydrates: 52g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 12g
Did you enjoy this? You may also like This Ultimate Vegan Shopping List