Vegan Lobster Roll
There are some classics that are hard to let go of for us vegans! Lobster roll was an all time favourite treat of mine and I was so surprised at how easy it to make an entirely realistic copy with the same flavours and textures, this vegan lobster roll is epic!
Lobster rolls are traditionally from the USA, specifically Connecticut. Over the years, the sandwich has spread in popularity. It’s safe to say lobster rolls are a truly American recipe.
So what is vegan lobster made of? Well it’s made from hearts of palm that you can buy in a can. This plant has a distinctly similar texture and taste to real lobster meat when it’s properly cooked and seasoned. This is what hearts of palm taste like!
What you will need to do is strain the hearts of palm can, just one can for this recipe. Chop the sticks into bit sized chunks. The shape of the hearts of palm is naturally similar to that of lobster. If you are not sure where to buy hearts of palm grab it here.
So that answers our question about what is a vegan lobster, lets now think about seasoning.
The best thing to do is marinade the hearts of palm, you can do this overnight or for a little while in the fridge whilst you prepare everything else. it doesn’t need lots of time, just a while to sit in the mix.
Hearts of Palm Lobster Roll
We use garlic, spring onion, celery lemon juice, dill, white pepper and Old Bay Seasoning to make this vegan lobster roll recipe taste amazing. These combination of spices and herbs make it so realistic.
In a bowl add oil, minced garlic, finely grated onion, Old Bay Seasoning and the heart of palm lobster meat pieces.
In another bowl combine the freshly chopped dill, vegan mayo, white pepper, finely chopped celery and finely chopped spring onion. Set to one side!
Heat up the frying pan and cook the vegan lobster meat mix for 5 to 10 minutes until piping hot. Move it around the pan with a cooking spoon occasionally to avoid any burning.
After it is cooked combine the vegan lobster ingredients together. The bowl with the mayo and the cooked vegan lobster meat.
Vegan Lobster Rolls
Cut the dog rolls length ways. Don’t clean the pan after cooking the vegan lobster. Instead, add butter to melt and put the dog rolls inside face down and soak up all the juices and toast slightly.
This step seriously makes this vegan sandwich taste SO GOOD!! Next load the rolls with the scrumptious vegan lobster mix!
To garnish, add wedges of lemon to the plate, sprinkle some grated red onion and fresh dill for the ultimate colour and presentation. Serve warm or cold!
Serving Suggestions and Garnish
Traditionally when this roll is served warm its called a ‘vegan lobster roll however when it’s served cold it’s called vegan lobster salad! Either way. it’s really tasty.
In fact, making the mix up in advance can be a really quick and easy meal prep idea.
You can store it the mix in the fridge or in an air tight container for 3 to 4 days. It will keep perfectly so you can make that tasty sandwich for lunch really quickly. Or maybe you are having friends over for lunch on the weekend? Either way it works well fresh or pre made!
If you are struggling to find any ingredients, they are mostly listed in our recipe card with a link to amazon below.
Now that you know what vegan lobster is made of will you give it a try? Make sure to give us a recipe rating or leave a comment!
You may also like:
Delicious Vegan crab salad
- 1 can of heart of palm
- 3 dog rolls
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 cup of dill
- 1/4 a cup of oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 a lemon juiced
- 1 stick of celery
- 1/2 cup of fresh dill
- 1/2 a cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of white pepper
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 1 tbsp of old bay seasoning
- 2 spring onions
- Strain the hearts of palm and chop into bite sized chunks. Mince the clove of garlic and finely chop the onion. Keep a little bit of onion to one side for garnish later.
- Mix the hearts of palm, minced garlic, onion. lemon juice, olive oil and Old Bay Seasoning together in a bowl to marinade in the fridge whilst you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile add the white pepper, vegan mayo, finely chopped spring onion and dill together in a bowl.
- Cut the dog rolls lengthways and set to one side.
- Heat the frying pan up and fry off the vegal lobster meat mix for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix the mayo bowl and lobster mix together.
- In the pan that you just used to cook, keep all the excess juices, add the butter to melt, put the dog rolls inside down to soak all the juices and semi toast them, this makes them extra tasty!
- Fill the dog rolls with the lobster meat mix.
- Garnish with some slices of lemon, dill and thinly sliced red onion for some vibrant colours.
- Serve hot or cold! Hot is my favourite but it's honestly good either way 🙂
- - If you have excess mix store in an air tight container in the fridge for two to three days.
- If you prefer not to use a dog roll, this vegan lobster meat recipe could be served with a salad instead. Add to a bed of leaces with some additional vegetables to make the ultimate vegan lobster salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, First Cold Pressed, Full-Bodied Flavor, Perfect for Salad Dressings and Marinades, Naturally Gluten Free, Non-Allergenic, Non-GMO, 68 FL. OZ., Single Bottle
Hostess Hot Dog Buns, 8 Buns (Pack of 4)
McCormick Gourmet, Ground White Pepper, 1.75 oz
Reese Hearts of Palm Slices, 14 Ounces (Pack of 6)
Hellmann's Vegan Mayonnaise Jar Made with Non GMO Sourced Ingredients, No Artificial Flavors or Colors, No Cholesterol, Gluten Free, 1 gallon, Pack of 4
Old Bay Seasoning, For Seafood, Poultry, Salads, and Meats, 2.62 Oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1037mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. By using them it will not cost you any extra. We will get a teeny commission and are so grateful for the support of our readers. These little commissions help us continue to write lots of yum recipes.