These marinated miso tempeh wraps are so filled with nutrients and delicious flavors. Packed with textures and flavors, this wrap is filling, well rounded and perfect for lunch!
It’s stuffed with crunchy baked tempeh, creamy avocado, massaged kale and more.
If you are not yet familiar with tempeh, it’s a delicious, healthy, vegan protein made from fermented soy beans.
Miso Tempeh Wraps Ingredients
To make the tempeh miso you’ll need:
To put together your tempeh wraps you’ll need:
- Tortilla Wraps
- Lemon Juice
- Red Onion
- Purple Cabbage
Making the Tempeh Marinade
This miso tempeh marinade is super simple to make.
Stir together the miso, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and chili flakes and then dump in the tempeh pieces.
You can cut the tempeh into whatever shape you prefer.
I find sticks to be the best for wraps but if you want to double the recipe to use in salads, bowls, or just eat plain, you can cut it into whatever shape you like best.
Thin pieces work best for optimal crispiness though.
Be sure to marinate the tempeh for at least thirty minutes longer. You can certainly leave it for much longer though if it’s convenient.
Once the tempeh is done marinating, preheat the oven to 400.
While it’s preheating prepare a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or well greased to prevent sticking.
Line up the tempeh leaving space between the pieces.
Bake in the preheated oven until the baked tempeh pieces are browned and crispy.
It will take around 25 minutes.
Assemble the Vegan Tempeh Wraps
While the tempeh is baking, prepare the other wrap ingredients.
Take your kale and remove the thick stems. You can do this with a knife or by just pulling the leaves off the stems.
Massage it with a sprinkle of kosher salt and a splash of lemon juice.
If you’ve never massaged kale before, it’s really simple, just keep massaging and you’ll see it start to soften and become tender and soft after around three to four minutes.
Once it’s softened set aside and cut the avocado, red onion, and red cabbage into slices.
Once the tempeh comes out, it’s time to assemble your vegan miso tempeh wraps.
Lay out a tortilla and layer on a handful of kale, some slices of avocado, red onion and cabbage.
Try to shake off any extra moisture from the kale before adding it to the tortilla, particularly if you are packing it to go.
Top with baked tempeh pieces. With the slices I cut, I got around six pieces of tempeh per wrap, but it will depend on the cut you chose.
Wrap it all up and cut in half to enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 4 Tortilla Wraps
- 1 Block Tempeh
- Small Bunch of Kale
- Splash of Lemon Juice
- Kosher Salt
- 1/4 of a Red Onion
- 1 Avocado
- Sliced Purple Cabbage
Miso Tempeh Marinade
- Mix together all the tempeh marinade ingredients until well combined.
- Slice tempeh block into strips and fully coat in all the marinade.
- Place in fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, longer is fine as well.
- Preheat the oven to 400f/200c.
- Line the pieces of tempeh on a baking sheet, leaving space between the pieces so they have room to get crispy.
- Bake until browned and crispy, around 25 minutes.
- While it bakes, prepare the kale. Sprinkle with salt and a large splash of lemon juice and massage for around four minutes, until it's tender and softened.
- When the tempeh is done, it's time to assemble your wraps.
- In the center of each tortilla, place a large bunch of massaged kale, slices of avocado, red onion, and a handful of cabbage.
- Top with baked tempeh slices, you should get around six slices per wrap.
- Wrap it up like a burrito, and cut in half.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mission Flour Tortillas Large Burrito (16 ct.) (pack of 2)
Kikkoman Rice Vinegar, 10 Fluid Ounce
Miso Paste Red (Aka) Miso Soybean Paste, 2.2 lb, non-GMO, No MSG, Vegan - by Miso Boom
Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil Fluid Ounce, 11 Fl Oz (B3039)
Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO & Gluten Free, 1.5 Pound (Pack of 6)
Kikkoman Japan Made Soy Sauce, 33.8 Ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 803mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g